Flooring and Carpeting/Latex Gypcrete?

Question
"Hello Chris, and thank you for taking my question.  We have a second floor condo that presently has carpeting over concrete or spancrete.  We intend to replace the carpeting with a high quality laminate.  I have a proposal from a flooring company, but this will be a DIY project.  The proposal from the flooring company includes "Latex Gypcrete to Seal".  Can you explain what this product is and how it fits into the laminate installation process?"

Answer
Hi Bill,
In Calif. We had plenty of gypcrete floors. They took a beating and would crack and start to crumble. If it was bad enough you could feel the loose sandy texture under the carpet as well as literal troughing in the heavy traffic area of a commercial office...upstairs.

Repairing such a floor involved priming and sealing with a liquid latex available in gallons and 5 gallon buckets. Mixing floor patch and rebuilding the floor.

You can really knock down the dust and sandy grit with a couple of coats rolled on with a paint roller. Water soluble and easy clean up. Home depot sells a" concrete glue" about 15.00 per gallon...dilute with water and apply as a seal/primer. Same stuff basically. Leaves the floor smooth, shiny, dust free and ready for any new topping. Or not.

That's what I know
If you Google latex admix you should see plenty of products.

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris