Flooring and Carpeting/Bathroom flooring

Question
We are getting our 2 small 2nd floor bathrooms redone in our condo. A contractor has told my mother that she didn't need to remove the vinyl/linoleum that is bad and coming up on the edges. He claims that we can just lay the new tile flooring on top of the bad?? This sounds fishy to me and I am getting conflicting answers. Please advise me on how we should proceed.

Answer
Can you please tell me what "tile"

Vinyl tile
Ceramic tile
With any hard stone/ceramic
A cement board goes down first...over the old vinyl...no problem. Because the tile adheres to the cement board.

Vinyl on old vinyl it's another story. Someone the floor odd in such bad condition it's easier to add new plywood or subfloor and just start fresh....
Other times it's reasonable to follow these cost cutting steps.
1. Trim the curling vinyl back.
2. Skim coat the floor with a fast drying cement (floor patch)
3. Apply whatever new floor to the renewed surface.

Please attach a picture of moderate quality of you need me to look at the condition of the current floor.

Chris  

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris