Flooring and Carpeting/WALL TO WALL CARPET

Question
HELLO TO ALL THERE,
MY ?S ARE MY LANDLORD HAS AN OLD WALL TO WALL CARPET ABOUT 16 YRS OLD IN A BASEMENT THAT IS MY NEW BEDROOM . IT HAS A MUSTY SMELL IF I'M ON THE FLOOR EXERCISING MOSTLY BUT I HAVE SOME NASAL PROBLEMS THAT SEEM EXACERBATED LIVING THERE. IT WAS RECENTLY RUG DOCTOR TREATED AND VACUUMED I USED VINEGAR THEN BAKING SODA HAVE A DEHUMIDIFIER AND GOOD AIRPURIFIER

IS THERE ANY THING THAT CAN BE DONE TO HELP WITH MILDEW OR MAYBE MOLD THERE. HE WON'T REPLACE THE RUG . IT HAS A CEMENT FLOOR WAS NOT FLOODED I THINK AND LOOK TO POSSIBLY PLACE YOGA MATS/ FAKE ASTRO TURF OR SOMETHING OVER THIS CARPET. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS. MONEY IS AN ISSUE LOW COST THE BEST EVEN RIPPING IT UP MAY BE POSSIBLE.
THANK-YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND ASSISTANCE IN THIS MATTER.
HARRY D

Answer
Thank you for your question Harry,

Unforturnately you are in a tough spot. This carpet has passed it's expected usage period by Ten years. It is now going to be an issue primarily because at this stage of it's game it is deteriorating completely on it's own due to age alone. Knowing this as you freely walk around this "enclosed" space (probably there is zero circulation of air down there without a cold air return pulling it out) every step you take is going to kick/lift the jute and fibers and Lord knows what else that is captured within the body of the carpet (no comment on the pad sitting beneath). You are going to breath this air day after day. Employing a "Rug Doctor" is of minimal help perhaps pulling out the top layer of filth doing little to capture what is farther down stream if you will. The vinegar will gain you cursury benefit as it is a low grade acid so it will further contribute to the carpets degredation, Baking Soda has about equal benefit as it will neutralize the work of the vinegar and has some cleaning/purifying power but in your situation and every other one that has been pushed beyond it's usable limits you are going to be stuck with a less than savory living condition. If I were you my friend I would ask the landlord to come down and help me pull up all the carpet and pad and tack strip, inspect the slab for mold and then employ the "Rug Doctor" again right over the slab, scraping and cleaning the whole usable space and drop down a couple large area rugs that you can find for cheap at any Estate Sale near you. That way Harry you will at least know you are unlikely to come down with some illness during the Winter months when it's too cold to get away from things when it is snowing outside. I hope this helps with your problem, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga