Flooring and Carpeting/Best floor for a humid city

Question
Hi! I live about an hour north of Houston, Texas and I need help in choosing the BEST floor option for a house that is being remodeled. The house was built in 1980 and all of the flooring has been removed. The original slab looks really good... I don't see any cracks. Anyhow, I use to have porcelain wood tile in my first house, which I LOVED because I am a clean freak and it was nice to sweep and mop and not worry about moisture. The only problem I had was that I was starting to get cracks on some of the tile in the kitchen. I know real wood would be beautiful and I also like bamboo, but I am not sure if that is the best option? I have done some research, and I have read that bamboo and real wood can be tricky because of moisture. Someone recommended engineered wood. Is that a good option? I hear it is cheap??? What about stained concrete? I need help!!! I will say that I LOVE to cook and spend 80% of my time at home in the kitchen. Would real wood be a bad idea? I"m worried about water spilling. I guess in a nutshell... What would be the smartest choice for an older house, with concrete slab in a city that is usually hot and humid most of the year? Thanks! :)

Answer
Hi Gema,

Well there are 2 suggestions that I have and personally love. Tile / stone / porcelain. I prefer a versailles pattern and I like chiseled edges. It is classic and old world wrapped into 1. There are so many styles to choose from and colors run the gamut. Available in Travertine or Porcelain.

Travertine is another favorite but is more expensive if you want high quality stone with very little man made fillers. Some of the nicer porcelains offer striking copies of the real stone without the headaches.

To prevent cracks you need to apply a slip sheet (old school method) Or the new school Ditra mat, made by schluter. I'm sure you have seen the orange plastic material on a roll in the tile section at the box stores. This is a membrane that shields the tile from minor spider vein concrete cracks. Now understand if your house is subject to an earthquake , as we get in Calif, I can't guarantee it will hold up to a 7.0 but minor cracks shouldn't be an issue using Ditra Mat

http://www.amazon.com/Scabos-Travertine-Versailles-Pattern-Unfilled-Brushed-Chis

The other favorite is wood ...ENGINEERED & LAMINATE... that is the best way to deal with humidity issues.

I will revise this answer with further details tomorrow after work.

I look forward to helping you make an informed decision.

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris