Flooring and Carpeting/carpet seam tape

Some idiot at Lowes told me to use double-sided carpet seam tape to hold plastic strips down for high traffic areas on carpet.  Now I removed them and there is residue glue in the carpet.  Is it possible to remove this?

Usually a solvent will take it off. I have used "Goof Off" to remove glue residue and it works very well, however, it can damage some carpet fibers. Other products are Goo Gone (available at Walmart, lighter fluid and De-Solv-It (available at Walmart with the furniture polishes) and rubbing alcohol.

Please note that when working with solvents there are some caveats:
1. Be sure to spot test in an inconspicuous place to be sure that what you are using does not damage the carpet.
2. Do NOT soak the carpet with the solvent solution. If you get the backing wet (particularly the latex that holds the backing to the carpet) it can swell, leaving ripples, that may not go down upon drying.
It takes much less liquid than you would think to penetrate the carpet and reach the backing. General cleaning tip: Apply the solvent to a clean white hand towel (you can purchase these at home improvement stores). Gently rub into the spot turning the towel to absorb the released glue residue. This may take more than 1 application as you do not want to overwet. Always better to err on the side of caution and go back again in a day or two and repeat than try to do it all at once.
3. Follow label instructions on your solvent.

Allow the area to dry completely.

Rinse the area using a carpet cleaning solution. The best way I have found is to put 1-2 oz in a windex type spray bottle and mist it on the carpet and towel out.

Good luck.

Flooring and Carpeting

R Adams

Certified Installer 1966-1976, Certified Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985, Certified Commercial and Residential Floor Inspector since 1985 is available to answer questions on problems with carpet or other flooring, and carpet cleaning. I can guide you as to whether you may have a valid claim against a manufacturer/installer/dealer/cleaning company.

Floor covering Installer 1966-1976 Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985 Floor Covering Inspector 1985- present

Floor Covering Inspector Training School; FCITS Floor Covering Inspection Technical Services; FITS Certified Claims Inspectors Association; CCIA

Hartford Courant

B.S. Chemistry 1971 A.S. Physical Science 1969 Armstrong Certified Installer 1972 3M Certified Carpet Cleaning Specialist 1976 FCITS Certified in Carpet and Hard Surface, Commercial and Residential

GE, Phoenix Insurance Group, McDonalds Corp, WTNH, US NAVY, Xerox, Time Warner, Pitney Bowes, Conair, Yale New Haven Hospital, UCONN, Price Waterhouse, Pepsico.