Flooring and Carpeting/wood flooring to stair

floor and stair
floor and stair  
QUESTION: Hello. I want to install hard wood flooring in an upstairs hallway. The issue i am having is the top stair landing goes from semi flush to flush with the sub floor and also not level Not sure what needs to be done to complete this project.  Thanks

ANSWER: I'm having a hard time visualizing your problem based on your description. Can you add a picture?
Can you describe it with more detail?

I see the image now with carpet track strip and is that padding or just old paint?
Stand on the stairs and let me see an image from the other direction.

If the old bull nose over hangs the riser you need to cut that flush with the riser. The new flooring will get a new bull nose. Or stair nosing finish.

If the joint of the sub floor and existing nose is not level sanding is required....or floor prep. Use Henrys feather finish or Ardex feather finish found at your local hardware store...mix with water and glue the imperfection smooth with a drywall 6"knife.

Keep in touch.

QUESTION: ok so the wood floor can be installed over the sub and existing riser after sanded down level. then I can install a new riser over the existing one after cutting off the nose of the riser?

AHHHH the weekend is here.. Hi again Scott

Ok Yes is the basic answer to both questions.. but there are details to get out of the way.

#1 what type of new floor are you installing... Solid / engineered/ laminate
#2 What type of stair nosing are you going to use on the new finish?

There are 2 nose finish products that I know of on the market. One is a true "BULL NOSE" and the other is a simple "STAIR CAP" The true bullnose will be more difficult and require an additional full riser piece to support the nose.

The simple cap only requires two surfaces at a 90 degree edge and covers raw cut edges.

Typically the manufacture of the wood flooring sells matching stair treatment accessories.

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies