Flooring and Carpeting/Removing carpet glue?

Question
We pulled up outdoor carpet from our covered cement patio and plan to lay ceramic tile. Do we need to scrape off all of the carpet glue before installation of the tile?

Answer
Hi Mary,
We always try to remove some of the old adhesive. We use a razor scraper...looks like a wallpaper razor scraper. Usually 4"blade. Some larger models are made to use standing up but don't do as good a job. Hands and knees down and dirty. Remove all the high ridges and clumps. The goal is smooth with no ridges. There will always be some trace color left.

What color is the old glue? It's ok to go over light yellow/creamy beige but not black. If you prefer you can rent a floor polisher from the home depot and ask for the special attachment disc that removes old adhesive. Fast and efficient but not for the timid.

When you do install the tile make sure the cement is polymer modified to promote a better bond. The non modified is about 8-9.00 per bag. The modified is approx 13.00 and up to 30.00 for special applications like walls and marble.
The first category in the 13.00 range well be fine for you. They add a polymer latex additive in the cement...back in the day we had to manually add it.

If you have any doubts call the cement, brand of your choice, manufacturer via the 800 number on the bag. They are always happy to help.

Come back anytime if you need more answers.

Chris  

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris