Flooring and Carpeting/How transition from carpet stair top to tileg floor

Question
Left corner tiled floor and staircase top step
Left corner tiled floo  
Center part tiled floor and staircase top step
Center part tiled floo  
QUESTION: Hello Chris,

We tiled the second floor, and now we're changing the staircase carpet. In the pics you can see the top step where it meets the tiled floor. The old carpet has been removed, and I'd like to know what my options are when installing the new carpet in this step in order to handle the transition from the carpeted area to the tiled floor. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Richard

ANSWER: Hi Richard,

Well this is one of those cases where we take artist license and get creative.
The square nose of the stair design makes it more challenging. A round bullnose is preferred. If it were me I would pull the last piece of tile up...cut the nose off the solid stair and install a nice wood nose on the top landing. Something Rick and dark. Mahogany...cherry.

Then finish the carpet under my new "round" style bullnose.

Option 2... Get some stone or travertine tile..Or marble. Take it to a counter top shop and tell them you want a bullnose edge to make a stair. Take the last tiles out and install the bullnose pieces...Then tile back to the bullnose. Plan ahead so the tile and bullnose pieces are somewhat balanced.

Take a look at Marble Thresholds online to get an idea of what you can do.

Option 3, Take a look at the tile nosing made by Schluter. Online see what they have to offer. You might find a commercial application to suit your needs.

Thanks,

Chris

QUESTION: Hello Chris,

Thank you for your help. We're going to re-carpet the stairs, and we're wondering if there are any options of how we can set the carpet in this top step w/o having to modify the tiled part?

Thank you in advance,

Richard

Answer
Richard,

Sadly the cart has gone before the horse in this case. The planning for this has past and now it is an afterthought. In lieu of the previous ideas I see no alternative other than taking up some tile.
Bare tile edges and grout do not make for a pleasant look next to carpet.

They make a metal stair nosing in silver or gold ...you nail it down. Drill through the tile first.

http://www.kofflersales.com/p/metal-stair-nosing.asp?itemid=19844&gclid=Cj0KEQjw

Ok, Hope you find a solution.

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris