Flooring and Carpeting/Vinyl tile or laminate for durability for kitchen?

Question
Hi Chris,
Thank you for sharing your expertise with us.  It's much appreciated.  I have 2 questions:
I have sheet vinyl in the kitchen.  It's been great for comfort and longevity.  I don't need to worry about spills.  However, it's impossible to find anymore.  I want a tile look, but don't want tile because it's a hard, cold surface for standing.  Would you recommend vinyl tile or laminate as an alternative, since I can't find sheet vinyl?  Also, are there brands you install with good results?  I'm on a budget, so please keep that in mind.

My other question is how to find a good installer.  Installation is the key to a good result and what makes the difference.  I think it's more important than the product.  I live in Orange County, CA and there's a flooring store on every street.  Each one raves about installation.  But, they are sales people, so they tell you anything.  I've asked friends and they tell me who not to use.  I've also checked yelp.  How can I find a talented installer?

Thanks Chris!
Connie

Answer
Hi Connie,
I'll answer your second question first. Look up Big D supplies in Orange county. Give them a call and ask if they can recommend a hard surface installer. Licensed and bonded. They deal with installers all day...everyday. I used to hang my business card on their board.

The other question as to which material. I'm very surprised you can't find sheet vinyl to satisfy your tastes? There are so many patterns to choose from. I really like some of the stone patterns that emulate tile.

As for the tile or laminate, I would have to say I prefer the laminate. I'm afraid of the peel and stick varieties in the luxury tile. I won't install that type or recommend it. If you choose a luxury tile make sure it requires an adhesive to be applied. The new laminate materials usually click and lock together thus there is no chance of self adhering adhesive to fail. If you get to a point where you narrow your decision down maybe I can help you choose a brand or style once you tell me which you prefer.

Come back anytime,

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris