Flooring and Carpeting/Flooring over tile with asbestos

Own a home that has asbestos tile in three rooms and would like to install Pergo laminate.  I have had the tile analyzed and it has 10% Chrysotile and the Black Mastic is 5%. The tiles are in excellent condition; no cracks, breaks, nor broken pieces.

What, if any, method/product could be used to seal the tile; can something be used as a barrier between the new flooring and the tile?  The Pergo is tongue and groove installation?  I do not want to damage or break the existing tile?

I do not want carpet, but would like you thoughts about laminate tile?

Thank you for your question Robert....

I have to be honest with you here about the asbestos aspect of your scenario. Of course this is nothing more than my opinion and that based upon my personal The "zero" tolerance that certain Depts have taken with this material tend to make me shake my head over it and as a result of the white knuckle fear cottage industry has been developed and have thrived because of it. I tore out loads of VAT for years in lieu of installing a Ceramic tile floor. Even after the fear was raised to a crescendo in the late 80's or so. I had then and still maintain a greater fear and caution over "mold" in it's many forms. I also came out of Florida. Now...the easiest and most effective way to capsulate this material is simply to roll a couple coats of an oil based paint and let cure. This will keep the surface of the material tightly covered and sealed and in the eyes of the Powers that be an adequate method of encapsulation and your protection. Thereafter if you choose any type of laminate you can proceed with confidence. As with any and all laminate you will also need to incorporate a barrier layer between the painted floor and the laminate, in the form of either vis-queen or the manufacturer's recommended roll of foam designed for this purpose that all producer's of this material make..follow me? I have never installed nor have I ever even seen a laminate tile installation in real life. I have seen hundreds of laminate plank installs commonly associated with the Pergo Company name type that is a clip together method of installation. While I like the end product even with the very best produced example it can be easily affected by moisture best associated with daily wet mopping which would be a pronounced no-no with any kind of laminate, ok? Dry sweeping with a swiffer (or equivalent) with only "spot" cleaning with any moist application and best accompanied with a nice dry towel to ensure things are dry when your done. Ok Robert, I hope this helps you with your project feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...