Flooring and Carpeting/loose loops on berger

Question
iphone154
iphone154  
Hi-I purchased Beaulieu Berger Carpet and had installed by Avalon Carpet 12-08-14.  The loops are loose and keep pulling up and fraying.  Avalon has been out 4 times to do repairs.  It seems like this will never end.  I have never experienced this previously and have purchased berger carper 3 times prevoiusly.  I think I have a bad piece of carpet.  Avalon came out and took pictures to submit clain with manufacturer.  My question is have you heard of this defect before on Beaulieu berger and what do you think my recouse is in dealing with Avalon or Beaulieu. Thanks

Answer
Hi Lynne.
I've done many, many inspections for Beaulieu and they, in my experience, stand behind their products. However I am not familiar with Avalon Carpet. I am assuming it is your dealer. Also I am not familiar with "Berger" carpet or do you mean Berber carpet? The photo you've included is a Berber carpet.

What you are experiencing are pulls and runs. I've inspected thousands of carpets from all different manufacturer's for this type of complaint. Loop carpets, such as Berber are easier for an object to get caught in a loop as opposed to a cut pile or plush carpet. Once a loop gets caught by an object, say a burr on a heel, a childs toy or a pet's claws, and that pull exceeds the manufacturer's designated *tuft bind strength, it can cause the loop to disengage from the carpet and, if the object that catches the loop continues to pull with the same or greater force, it will cause a run, similar to a run in a stocking.

*Tuft bind strength is a measurement of how much force it takes to pull a tuft from the carpet backing. The minimum acceptable tuft bind strength for loop carpet is 6 lbs. Yours may be more. It depends on the style/grade.

Not all pulls and runs are a defect. Your carpet needs to be inspected by a certified floor covering inspector or at the very least a sample sent back to the manufacturer so they can perform a tuft bind test to see if the results are below specification. If it is below specification, then yes, the carpet is defective.

If Avalon submitted a claim to Beaulieu then you should be hearing from them either directly or from the inspector that is assigned your claim. If you do not hear from someone in 10 days from the time your claim is submitted try calling Beaulieu. Their direct claims helpline # is 1-877-287-1830. (At least that's the number that I have that was valid as of 4/1/2015)

Good luck.  

Flooring and Carpeting

R Adams