Flooring and Carpeting/carpet for unheated enclosed porch

Question
We have just bought a cabin in VT that has a glassed-in
un-insulated porch. It is finished in pine and has finished pine floor. I wish to cover floor with carpet for new grandson to play.  It is about 5 feet above the ground. Do I need to cover with heavy plastic then underpad/carpet?  Or will moderately thick underpad be enough.
It will only have occ. space heater as will be a summer home.
It is near a river & thought the moisture would seep up.

Answer
Hi Sue,

I would not recommend plastic under carpet. The backing of most carpet these days is a latex soft plastic anyway. The pine floor, how does it look? I think a large custom made throw rug might be nicer. You can roll it up every winter and cover it with a tarp?
I hate to think that a lovely pine floor will get nailed and stapled just to install carpet.

But the choice is yours. If you are seriously concerned about moisture install the Styrofoam insulation under the space. That will stop a considerable amount should there be any at all.

Best regards,

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris