Flooring and Carpeting/mixing floors in 2 rooms

Question
we took the separating wall down between kitchen and dining room and are replacing it with a peninsula with a 37" opening between rooms, the dining room has oak hard wood floors, we would like to put porcelain planks in kitchen instead of flowing through with the hard wood in the kitchen... not sure how that would look, have been told it SHOULD flow
any suggestions???

Answer
Thank you for your question Darlene,

You are not alone with your struggle with "prefered" design scheme's. If I may, allow me to lend to you my thought process with this kind of dilemma. First....leaving or continuing the wood into the kitchen would be your "standard" or traditional method of old school design. Timeless?...yes. Contemporary?...not so much. I have wood throughout my house... except in the kitchen where I installed Travertine. I like the break in materials in at least one place outside of the bathroom. Installing Procelain planks is very contemporary and a visually appealing design scheme. I recently installed some 4" x 33" walnut wood copy Porcelain and it was a little bit of perfection of both Worlds. Part of the visual appeal was it was a wood look alike, another part was that the layout, even running a 1/3rd offset still gave the hint of a tile install. So to answer your concern that it "should flow"? I would use a different adjective to describe the combination..."complimentary". One will play off the other visually and as different people see things differently so will the interaction of the material at the point of marriage at your new peninsula. The only other thing I would add Darlene is remember that a tile floor will always be a much colder surface which may be fine in Summer not so much in Winter, so consider adding a "warm floor" application to the install which can make a world of difference with the finished product experience. Ok Darlene, that's it. I hope this helps you in some small way with your decision. Feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga