Flooring and Carpeting/concrete basement floor

Hi Harvey,

we just removed very old carpet and pad from our concrete basement floor.  Theoretically our basement is "dry" but over the years we have had sump pump failures, broken pipes etc. so we are not really wanting to put down new carpeting.

I tested the floor with water and it seems to have a sealer of some kind.  The sealer has been down since before we bought the house in 1996.  A paint store employee said that probably means it is an oil based sealer.

Do I have to remove this sealer before I paint or stain or can I just use a primer.  

Also, what is the best way to remove carpet glue residue - scraping is okay but will chemicals help?

Also, is it bad for the floor if I don't fill in every hole from where I removed the tack strips?

Thanks, Laure

The concrete sealer and adhesive should be removed.  If the adhesive is Carmel colored, you can soak it with soapy water for 3 hours then remove with 3 in. razor scrapper.  Or quickly with vapor mask, use pant stripper and a little water.

Remove the stripper with high alkaline cleaner and rotary scrubber, followed by Muriatic acid, then two scrub rinses.  Fill your tack holes with grout.  Then two coats of epoxy.   You can get a complete quote for material needed at  

Flooring and Carpeting

Harvey Chichester

Concrete floor coatings, repair, decoration etc.

Harvey Chichester is a well published principal of Durall Industrial Flooring, a company with more than 40 years experience in developing special flow-coatings for industrial and residential floors. Automotive and shopping centers, breweries, food processing plants, manufacturing plants, airplane hangars, car washes, kennels, warehouses, printing plants, residential basements, pool decks, and condominiums are among some of the facilities in which he has installed floors. http:\\

Durall Manufacturing, Bloomington, MN, is the only industrial flooring manufacturer that also makes over 500 specialty cleaners. Durallís 40 years of flooring chemical manufacturing experience has produced a special preparation of cleaners and an application system assuring optimum flooring adhesion and wear results. Durall provides factory-direct support for these new products. Kits of materials are customized to owner specification and delivered directly to the job site. Kits include full directions and 24/7 help lines staffed by seasoned flooring experts, so professionals and amateurs alike can successfully install a quality floor. Visitors can obtain free, job-specific quotes on materials or nationwide turnkey installations by completing a simple questionnaire at This full-service concept allows anyone to enjoy the benefits of industrial strength floors successfully

Google shoes over 3,000 publication listings where articles of Harvey Chichester are presented

MBA, BSB, BA University of Minnesota

Pillsbury, General Mills, Iowa Beef, Cremates, Japs Olson Printing, Banta Printing, Airforce, Coast Guard, Marines, Northwest Airlines etc.