Flooring and Carpeting/Marble tile

Yikes!  I used 1/8" spacers for my 8x20 marble tiles.  Somehow   the grout lines are 1/4" in a few spaces.  Can i still use unsanded grout, should i prefill with caulk?

Thank you for your question Susie,

With any portion of your install being "larger" than the 1/8" maximum for non-sanded it will be a much easier thing to wrestle with by going to the sanded grout. Perhaps you are concerned with the old concern of scratching polished Marble, it is only a concern for Carrara Marble and even then if you take your time and dampen the surface of the stone prior to actually grouting the joints it will glide over the top and you can pretty much control where you "place" the grout focusing on just the joints themselves. You don't mention if the stone is polished or what kind it is so I have little else to work with on your problem. Be sure to always rinse carefully and buff dry with a towel after the grout has set up. Leave zero film...ok? That's it Susie, I hope this helps you with your project, feel free to return anytime....

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...