Flooring and Carpeting/tile grout

Question
My husband put up the first two large glass mosiac tile with the grout, not thinset as a backing. Do we need to rip them off and re-tile or will it hold and be waterprrof for the long term.  You can not see the grout thru as its dark tiles.

Answer
Thank you for your question Alison,

Lets go ahead and carefully pull the already installed glass tile and begin again. The grout has little adhesive quality and certainly less so in regards to the non-porous glass material. You should be able to gently pry the glass from the wall and save them to begin again. I would also be sure to install with either "glass morter" or a white modified thinset, also be sure to flat skim the back of the tile so that you increase the overall amount of bonding coverage...ok? That's it Alison, I hope this helps you with your project. Feel free to return anytime.

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga