Flooring and Carpeting/Finishing after encapsulating cutback

Question
Hi Chris,

I saw that you helped someone with questions about encapsulating cutback a couple of years ago, so I'm hoping you won't mind clarifying a little!  My basement is asphalt tile that is starting to come up on its own (installed in the 50s, I believe).  I'm hoping to scrape up the tile, wet scrape the remaining cutback, then skim coat the whole thing with Henry Unipro or something similar to get back to a "clean" concrete floor.  Would it be possible to paint or epoxy coat from that point? I'd like to have a workshop space, so I'm hoping for a durable, inexpensive, and easy maintenance finish. I called Henry's installation/support line and the person I spoke with said, "no" with no explanation, so I'm not certain if that's just not a recommended use or if it wouldn't work at all. Maybe there's something I can put on top of the Unipro that will accept paint/epoxy?  Thanks for any help you can offer!

Answer
The floor patch won't accept paint...or epoxy. And no manufacture of said floor patch wants to be liable if they say yes.

If you really want to epoxy the floor you need to mechanical bead blast the concrete. They have machines for rent to do that....but they are expensive and also you have to buy the shot.

Floor patching, including self leveling, are meant to prepare the surface smooth and or level to accept a new flooring product. Unfortunately none will be suitable for paint / epoxy.

The new VCT (vinyl composition tile) would be perfect and install easily. Asbestos free and user friendly. Full spread adhesive system...not peel and stick. Vct buffs and shines and is very resilient.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris