Flooring and Carpeting/remove old carpet pad

Question
I recently removed carpet that had been installed over the old indoor/outdoor carpet. This is over hardwood flooring in a dining room and living room. Apparently when new carpet was installed, the installer took the easy way and installed carpet, and pad leaving the old carpet underneath. Now I have torn all the carpet out but, some of the backing from the bottom layer of indoor/outdoor carpet is stuck to the floor. It was down for at least 25 years. I am trying to scrape it off with an ice chopper. I am wetting it with hot water to try to loosen it up. Any ideas of a better way?  Thanks

Answer
Hello Joe,

This is a dirty job. I assume the remaining cushion is black. We typically use a 12-16" razor scraper and work on hand and knees.
They accept a 4" razor blade sold in a pack of 10 or 100.

The floor covering tool section sells these scrapers, very similar to the wallpaper scrapers, but built stronger.
The CRAIN and TAYLOR brands are the preferred choice.

Knee pads are advised.
Here is the Crain web site with images
http://craintools.com/tear-out/scrapers

Chris

Flooring and Carpeting

Chris