Flooring and Carpeting/Tile

Question
Hi Perry and greetings from Thailand.
The wife and I have just bought a new house and would like to put ceramic tile through-out the house. All the floors are wood and we are told by some that we will have to put some type of flooring down over the wood before we have the tile laid. Others say, that we can use some type of cement that will work. What is your expect advice?

Thanks.
Phil

Answer
Thank you for your question Phil....

Congratulations on your new home and in so exotic a place. Now as I go over your question in greater detail to begin my thought process I notice something that prevents me a more detailed response. You mentioned having wood floors but you do not say what kind of wood floors. I have a couple questions for you....what kind of wood floors are these, site finish or perhaps pre-finished?...do you know what kind of "sub-floor" is beneath them or are these wood floors nailed directly to the floor joists? If the wood is the "finished" layer do you know how thick they are 1/2"-3/4" (American units), do they have a finish coat over the top? The how and what and why from me will be waiting for you if you are willing to fill in some blanks for me. That way I can assist you in a proper plan to move forward with. Going from wood to tile can be a big deal. When adding more layers without first removing existing layers can have a large impact on how things both finish and flow. Doorways and appliances like dishwashers all may be affected by adding new dimension/thickness...also there is considerable dead load (weight) that the current floor structure will have to support without issue so these are just a couple things to think about when considering such a large change. Take your time Phil if you willing to return I will be waiting...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga