Flooring and Carpeting/wood floor issue

Hi Chris,

would you be able to provide info on how to repair an area of my hardwood floor that got damaged under a mat at my front door?   The water got under the varnish and turned the wood black at the seams.  the varnish peels off, of course.  I'm wondering if I can lightly sand it, bleach the stains and then coat it with varnish again.

Thank you,

The finish clear coat is typically called poly urethane. Not varnish.
And that brings up another point. The age of the floor...The type of floor...The color of stain..The width of each board...
And trying to blend in the area.

But yes, it is possible to do a fairly decent job with the methods you described.

You may have to rent tools and lift the old boards out and replace if you are not satisfied. Edges are more difficult depending on the depth of the stain/discoloration.
Topical stains are easier.

If the floor is older it was probably treated with oil base products, which might be hard to get depending on where you live.

The EPA has everyone using water based products which are safer for the environment.

There are plenty of videos on you tube to help you achieve the end result.

I'll be here if you need further answers.

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies