Flooring and Carpeting/New Carpeting installed over Pad

Question
Despite paying for new padding, I had a dishonest employee of a general contractor install my new carpet over the old pad.  This has been like this for over 6 months as I am having trouble getting the general contractor to fix this. My question is: Will dog urine smell/stain from the old padding transfer to the new carpet enough so a dog can smell it? Should I insist on new carpeting as well as the padding? This is in a B & B where dogs are sometimes allowed if they are well trained. I am afraid if the dogs can smell urine from the old pad, some may 'mark' the area. The old tack strip was also used, is this okay? In another room the old tack strip was under water for over a week due to a broken pipe. Should they have replaced the old tack strip as it was rusted? This has been a nightmare. The seams show and are in the wrong places including a 1' strip placed perpendicular in a hallway. Thank you!

Answer

This question requires several answers.

1. There is no requirement that the pad be replaced IF it is in good condition.  Pad that has dried urine cannot be considered to be in good condition and must be replaced.   

2. While the old urine is not likely to stain the new carpet, you can bet a dog can smell its presence. Remember that their sense of smell is about 400 times better than ours.  This will be exacerbated in humid weather.

3. It is not necessary to replace tack strip if it is in good condition.  Tack strip that is rusted is not in good condition and should be replaced.  In a room that has been wet for a week, everything must be replaced.  The underlying floor must be thoroughly dried to prevent mold growth on the wood, which may take some time.  

4. Your description of the seam suggests the installer either cut the carpet too short at the seam, or botched the seam on the first try and had to add a "saddle" repair.   This is very sloppy installation technique.  

5. You certainly have a valid issue and should pursue it to a satisfactory conclusion.  This may include small claims court.

Hope this helps......CM

Flooring and Carpeting

Carey Mitchell