Flooring and Carpeting/Grout and Latex Addative

Question
Should I add a liquid latex additive to my grout?  Or should I use a grout with latex already added to it?  I am remodeling a bathroom and will need to grout the shower area.   Thank you.

Answer
Thank you for your question George,

While I can easily can see the benefit of having a latex modified thinset adhesive there is little benefit to having it in the grout. Certainly attempting to "add" the liquid to the mixture yourself is sketchy at best. Three + decades ago we added it ourselves as this was long before Chemists developed the ability to create a powdered version of latex to add to the thinset first then grout under controlled conditions and in consistent premeasured amounts. There will always be the temptation to want it for all the touted reasons it is promoted. I am not a fan of it to be honest and so I simply do not employ the modified version of any grout to my installs. I can see no reason for you to do it as well unless you are determined to do it. Just my opinion George, I hope this helps you with your project, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga