Flooring and Carpeting/how to strip Briwax from terra cotta tile

Briwax with stain was accidentally applied to our terra cotta tile floor.  How can it be removed?  Not near floor right now to add image but its very dark and splotchy.

Assuming there is nothing unusual about this wax line, you should be able to soak into the tile a high flash aromatic naphtha and cause the wax to float out where you can wipe it up off the surface. On some waxes, I've had success with a mixture of our SR-5 Stripper and a water based floor wax stripper so that the wax emulsifies and floats out easier. The down side is that this usually has to be done about three times to get most of the wax back out.

This is pretty much the worst case scenario when it comes to terra cotta. It's like trying to unburn a match. It might be easier to just tear the floor out and put in a new one.

Bill Hohmann

Flooring and Carpeting

Bill Hohmann

I can answer questions concerning the stripping and sealing of various tile, brick, and stone flooring with an emphasis on Mexican Tile. I cannot help in regards to installation issues, such as what sort of tile to use; how to install or remove tiles, etc.

Over 30 years experience in the manufacture development and use of sealers, coatings and cleaners for tile, stone, brick, etc.