Flooring and Carpeting/Mystery Stains on Vinyl Flooring

Stains on vinyl 1
Stains on vinyl 1  

Stains on vinyl 2
Stains on vinyl 2  
Hi Sir, My property manager has made a complain about the grey colour spots on the kitchen vinyl floor near the start of kitchen and near the hot water system cabinet. Please note that we had a hot water system leak a month ago and the water remained accumulated on the vinyl floor for 3 to 4 hours after which the hot water system leak was stopped by plumber and the system got replaced the next day. My wife believes that these stains appeared after that leakage incident and she has not dropped anything on floor as such. Please see attached photos and advise the possible reason of these stains, what is the possible solution and if it is a mold underneath how can I prove it to the property manager. Thanks

If nothing was spilled on the vinyl and you tried to clean these and were not able to, then the spots can be migrating from below due to excess moisture beneath the vinyl. Since you stated that there was water leakage it sounds like water probably seeped under the vinyl. Excess moisture WILL cause spots such as these to appear after a period of time. If moisture is the cause it is not cleanable and would be mold related. If you have access to a moisture meter you can use this to make a quick determination if they are moisture related. While I am not sure where you live, here is an example of one that can be purchased:

Use the meter on the spots. Also use the meter away from the spots to see if you get a dry reading.
(Note: You may get a wet reading on non spotted areas if you are too close to the leakage as spots do take time to appear.) Spilling liquid on the floor and then wiping it up and letting it dry would NOT give a wet reading on a moisture meter. This would (or should) prove to your landlord that the spots were due to the leakage and not due to your spilling something on the floor.  

Flooring and Carpeting

R Adams

Certified Installer 1966-1976, Certified Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985, Certified Commercial and Residential Floor Inspector since 1985 is available to answer questions on problems with carpet or other flooring, and carpet cleaning. I can guide you as to whether you may have a valid claim against a manufacturer/installer/dealer/cleaning company.

Floor covering Installer 1966-1976 Carpet Cleaning Instructor 1976-1985 Floor Covering Inspector 1985- present

Floor Covering Inspector Training School; FCITS Floor Covering Inspection Technical Services; FITS Certified Claims Inspectors Association; CCIA

Hartford Courant

B.S. Chemistry 1971 A.S. Physical Science 1969 Armstrong Certified Installer 1972 3M Certified Carpet Cleaning Specialist 1976 FCITS Certified in Carpet and Hard Surface, Commercial and Residential

GE, Phoenix Insurance Group, McDonalds Corp, WTNH, US NAVY, Xerox, Time Warner, Pitney Bowes, Conair, Yale New Haven Hospital, UCONN, Price Waterhouse, Pepsico.