Flooring and Carpeting/small chips in ceramic floor tile

Question
I have spoken to two company agents who say they repair chips in ceramic tile using grout, stain and sealer.  Is this a proper, effective and durable way to repair chips?

Answer
Thank you for your question Bernard,

Typically once a tile (Porcelain/Ceramic) has a chip on the surface anything attempted will be a temporary fix over the long haul. There are bonified repair kits out there that are mildly successful for an undetermined period of time. Using the process you have listed in your question I have a dubious feeling as to its relative success. It is for reasons like this Bernard that I have long recommended that folks, when they are considering their tile purchase options that they always look for a "light colored" bisk or the back of the tile so that chips and scratches are far less noticeable. Of course what is done is done especially if the tile was installed in the house prior to your arrival. So the short answer is you can "Dr" a chip to make it look better and there are people out there who have the skill to do this, just keep in mind that typically it will need to be done again at some point down the road. And the ingredients listed above for your repair???....my opinion is it is neither proper or effective and likely not very durable. Ok Bernard I hope this helps you with your problem, feel free to return anytime...

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga