Flooring and Carpeting/Flooring or cabinets first

I'm on a tight and my flooring is atrocious. I have cracked tiling in the kitchen and foyer and destroyed old stinky Berber carpet throughout the rest of the house. My kitchen is dated and eventually does need new Cabinetry and countertops but I can live with that for now it's the flooring that's driving me crazy. I'm getting different opinions on whether I should replace the flooring before the Cabinetry or vice versa. I'm looking to put in laminate hardwood flooring throughout the kitchen floor and living space on the first floor. What is your opinion is it safe to do the flooring first? Somebody was telling me that there may be a gap between your flooring in your cabinets if you do the cabinet's later.

Hi Kimberly,

If you are not planning on doing the cabinets soon. You can install new flooring. Laminate floors require a molding to address the edge and cover any manufacture recommended spacing anyway...

If and when you remove/install new cabinets this molding can be gently removed and reinstalled.
Most cabinets are generally standard measurements and will fit exactly in the same space. If you happen to add an island or change the design significantly you can go directly over the floor in many circumstances. A qualified cabinet installer/general contractor could even cut the flooring precisely to facilitate the new cabinets, should the need arise.

If you had the option and budget I would do the cabinets first...just to save the added wear and tear. However if the cabinet install is a couple of years down the road...the floors can be installed now.

Purchase extra flooring and molding now...about 10% overage or 15% so you have plenty and can save yourself the grief of a discontinued product in the future.

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies