Flooring and Carpeting/porcelain tile in kitchen with "feature strip"

im going to start a kitchen tile job with an island.the tiles are 16" porcelain.but they want a "feature strip" around island.they want 3 or 4 rows of 2" tiles around the island.after snapping a lot of lines.
would the island be my starting point??
(lay the 2" rows,then 16's til I meet walls an cabinets for cut pieces)

Forgive my tardiness has been acting up lately.

The first thing you "must" determine and plan for is the change in thickness of the differing material. 16" Porcelain is going to be much thicker than a 2" Mosaic. For me if I'm being asked to include a feature strip of any kind I simply establish the location and dimension that it will inhabit. Going around the island with the Mosaic I would dry lay it all to settle the exact footprint of the inlay. Then mark off the space and save by spraying my lines over with cheap aerosol hairspray like "White Rain". This will preserve the established layout for when you get there with the main portion of the install. The Porcelain will be much thicker than the Mosaic so lets install that first. Your primary install can proceed off the long wall or longest run of the installation. You can completely install all of the 16" material prior to setting the thinner material. Do the feature last once the main install is dry so that you can work from it around the island. In order to help raise the Mosaic install so that both materials will finish off flush is critical. Something to employ to help that is to purchase some Ditra uncoupling membrane. This can be installed in the feature area and will give you 1/8-3/16" elevation quite easily that way you can reach the flush finish without trying to build too much with thinset which will open the door to more problems than anyone wants to deal with. When you are closing in on the island feature strip footprint you can use the now preserved lines to cut the Porcelain tile exactly to the line all the way around the Island and that will make the feature tile install very easy to fit the saved space. Ok Martin, again sorry I am late responding, I hope this helps you with your project feel free to return anytime....

Perry V.

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga

Ceramic Tile/Marble. I can answer questions about floor preparation, tile selection, layout questions, performance of products, expectations of finish, compatabilities, questions about grout and epoxies, evaluating an installer, asking the right questions to check competence...more? 33 years this August 2012/ many years in commercial application from exterior finishes to Mall store fronts/ interior finishes like floor packages in stores inside Malls examples: The Limited, Lerner/NY, Lane Bryants, Bombay Co., Now involved in Residential new construction covering all types of interior finishes and designs.

I worked in an exclusive field of floorcovering called "Tenant Development" which is by invitational bid only, by way of a National bid list. These are large floor packages usually over 3500 sq. ft. of 18" x 18" Marble and Granite and many other types of Marble and sizes. They are specialty stores where the floor package can cost upwards of $50,000 for one store. I have also done "Structure" stores and J. Riggins stores, Lane Bryant,Express and Body Shop stores where wood flooring is used. Presently work for a National Flooring Company in the Residential new construction arena that covers most interior design elements..Granite Slab tops/wood flooring both job finished and prefinished ect..

My response's are published all across the Internet and picked up by multiple Interior Design sites and Industry related web sites where people have questions...

too many most of which don't count...