Flooring and Carpeting/Carpet Quality

QUESTION: I am looking at Tuftex Careless Whisper, a 100% Stainmaster Tactesse BCF Nylon, which is apparently 6,6 Nylon. I plan to carpet my entire house and need it to look good for many years. Because I have seen a number of complaints about Stainmaster and have heard that  the quality has declined, I am concerned about the long term look and performance of this carpet. Is Tuftex and this particular carpet a top quality purchase?  Thank you for your help.

ANSWER: First, some clarification of the name.  Stainmaster refers to the stain and soil resist treatments supplied to the carpet manufacturer by Invista, who makes the fiber and treatments only rather then the carpet itself.  There has been much confusion in the marketplace on this point.

Tuftex is a brand name of carpets manufactured by Shaw Industries. Shaw is the world's largest carpet manufacturer and, in an annual survey of carpet retailers consistently wins the top awards for quality, service and design.  In other words, there is nothing to worry about with the Tuftex brand.

You have chosen a nylon loop pile product.  Loop pile construction is the most durable of all and will give many years of satisfaction.  I have this identical Shaw product in the color Gentle Dove in my family room that has been on the floor for almost 15 years and it still looks new.

You picked a winner!

QUESTION: Thanks for your response. I am looking for current experience with this particular product. Are you in touch with people who have installed this product in the last  1- to 3 years? Are any of those who know the industry aware of any problems with this current product? Fifteen years ago,  the quality may have been better than today's product.yn3ou

I have no way, nor does anyone else, to contact anyone who has installed a carpet; its simply due to the way carpet goes to a retailer and thus to the consumer.  Consumers' orders are placed with the retailer, who then places an order with the manufacturer.  In many cases, the retailer is a member of a buying group, which places an additional step in the distribution chain. Regardless, the retailer would consider this information to be confidential.  Many retailers and the buying groups maintain inventory in their warehouse, so no order specific to a consumer ever goes to the manufacturer.

I can tell you that the minimum pile weight for a carpet to carry the Stainmaster brand is 27 ounces per square yard.  This is 44% heavier than the minimum.  Also be aware that it is tested 4X per year for the FHA certification program.  In addition, Invista conducts a quality check on products that carry that brand name.  These are in addition to the constant quality checks conducted by Shaw.

Looking at the specs, this carpet will perform.

Hope this helps

Flooring and Carpeting

Carey Mitchell

Any question regarding carpet, including specifications, maintenance, installation, regulation.

Retired after 44 years in carpet manufacture, technical and research. Served 33 years as Director of Technical Services for the world's largest carpet manufacturer.

The Carpet and Rug Institute, Technical Chair - 12 years; American Society for Testing and Materials (40 years); American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (39 years); Society of Cleaning and Restoration (Board of Directors); US National Textile Research Consortium; Cleaning Industry Research Institute (Board of Directors and founder); Canadian General Standards Board Technical Advisory Committee; The Fiber Society; Alzheimer's Association of NW GA (Board of Directors); Trout Unlimited; Federation of Fly Fishermen

AATCC Review (Textile Chemist and Colorist Journal); Journal of the American Industrial Hygiene Association; International Journal of Flooring Sciences Cleaning Digest; Cleanfax Magazine; Floor Covering Weekly; Floor Covering News; Proceedings of the Technical Conference of the Polyurethane Association; Proceedings of the Symposium on the Science of Cleaning;

BS in Chemistry and Business Administration, University of North Georgia

Carpet and Rug Institute, Smrekar Award, 1998; Carpet Industry Leadership Award, 1994; Cleanfax Magazine Person of the Year, 1996; Cleaning Digest, person of the year, 1997; Institute of Inspections,Cleaning and Restoration Certifications award,1997; ISCT Lipscomb Award, 2004