Flooring and Carpeting/Wall tile

Question
QUESTION: I have original wall tile in my bathrooms installed in 1970.  Should i be concerned about asbestos while removing them?

ANSWER: Thank you for your question George,

While some plaster jobs may have low grade asbestos there is no asbestos that I am aware of in any kind of ceramic tile no matter when it was installed so I would have little to no concern remodeling them. However any east coast climate may have "mold or mildew" issues to consider which is cause of more concern than asbestos carries in my opinion. Once you open the walls you will want to check for black mold and address accordingly. Ok George I hope this helps you with your project, feel free to return anytime....

Perry V.

Carpet glue
Carpet glue  
QUESTION: Thank you for responding.  I just have one more question concering asbestos. The house was built in 1972 and when i removed the original carpet off of the stairs there was this flaky black stuff underneath.  This picture shows what it looked like.  Is that old adhesive or padding?

Answer
Hey George....I perhaps jumped the shark a little as the question with photo attached came on a second query and though the picture is not very detailed I still stand on what I have already posted to you. I think it is just the black foam backing to the carpet. Hope things work out for you on your challenging project. I've done a few in my day....never looked forward to it.

Perry

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga