Flooring and Carpeting/grout "bleed"

Question
we recently had blue glass tile installed.  the tile is transparent.  after a month, i can now see the grout under the tile has bled from between the tile.  what caused this and what can i do?

Answer
Forgive my tardiness Alan...computer issues.

Ok your description of the issue at hand is not quite as clear as you may be thinking, or at least my understanding of it. Either way there is a specific method of install particular to all glass installation and primarily for just the reason you are now observing. With there being a degree of transparency to much of the glass tile produced in the market today it can also trip up inexperienced installers. Typically the lion's share of complaints is due to being able to see the "thinset comb strokes" that the trowel leaves behind if the installer employs the standard and commonly used method. In order to combat this problem the adhesive is combed out on the sub-strate then another pass with the flat side of the trowel to flatten out the adhesive bed is performed. This will leave a flat layer of adhesive behind with which to secure the glass tile without leaving the tell tail comb strokes that might end up being witnessed after the install is complete. But the scenario I just noted is perhaps somewhat different from the issue you are describing. As I understand yours is, there is a color bleed from the grout "into" the setting adhesive? Was the thinset that was employed a white or a grey color? Or was a "mastic/glue" employed for the install? Typically there shouldn't be any transfer or mingling of the color portion into the adhesive unless there was an actual "void" left by a comb stroke that allowed space for the grout to settle into once that part of the install process was completed. Perhaps you could provide a picture of the issue because just going from a text exchange leave much to the imagination. At the moment based on the information provided the install is both complete and cured so there is little to do to make a correction without a much more challenging activity. See if you can send me a photo Alan of the offending condition so I can better consider the issue. I can wait for you....

Perry V.  

Flooring and Carpeting

Perry Vellenga