Flooring and Carpeting/Wood parquet floor

Hello Chris! Thank you for answering questions here! We recently had a leak in an apartment above which destroyed our wood parquet floor in ONE of our bedrooms.  The floors throughout our condo apartment (we own it) is 9" x 9" red oak parquet that was sanded, stained natural color, and poly'd.  The cost of the repair will be paid for by the building management and they will replace the wood floor only in the one bedroom. We have been offered two choices: (1) prefinished white oak that matches well the other rooms, or (2) red oak parquet unfinished which will be sanded, stained to match and poly'd.  My wife likes the idea of getting the prefinished because it will not involve sanding (dust), stained and poly'd (odor/voc's).  I'm a little skeptical because the prefinished wood does not have the wood grain texture that the other rooms have, and the light shines off of the floor -- which makes the floor look like its a laminate (although it's definitely not).  Could you help us make a decision on this? I know it's probably a personal choice. It's a high end/luxury apartment if that matters. Thanks! Peter

Hello Peter,

As much add I'd like to be a designer I just can't visualize this without pictures. I also despise high gloss smooth finishes. I like texture and warmth...a tactile feel and visual appeal.

Yes, you mentioned a personal choice and I agree. I'm just surprised that they only offered you one option in the pre finished category.

Any other choices, or is that the only one in a suitable color?

With all the offerings out there, I can't imagine being stymied at this point.
Psst...does the insurance company have a contingency for a motel/hotel whilst the work is performed? Twist their arm...

Best of luck,

Flooring and Carpeting

20+ years flooring installation ...carpet,wood,tile and vinyl. Residential and commercial. I do not sell the products , just install what ever the shop / customer has purchased. I actually love seeing the finished project completed and it gives me great satisfaction to help others acheive that goal. If I don't know the answer I will say so, and then I will recommend another expert for you. I may even research the subject and answer to the best of my ability ...including links to my sources. I wish you all success Chris

20 years as an independant contractor

H.S. diploma A.S. agriculture Mt San Antonio JR. College

Gene Bonas and Kevin Churnock Inc. Sheward&Son&Sons Century 21 Forte Const. Famous Footwear BOSE Corporation Homebodies General Contractor Perry Floors, Tri Cord Flooring T.J.'S Supplies