Flute/Flute/ Saxophone

Question
What's the quickest amount of time to learn to play the saxophone if i already play the flute?
My school has a jazz band, and i really want to do it, but the problem is that i play the flute... Can I learn sax in a month if I can already play the flute Uber Uber fast?

Answer
Hi Brooke,

Thanks for your question.  If you already know how to play flute, then the fingerings for saxophone will come quite easy to you.  Google the Woodwind Fingering Guide, and you will find all you need to know there about fingerings.

The bigger issue is getting used to using a reed  and developing the correct type of embouchure.  If you can find a good saxophone teacher for your initial instruction, I think you can do it.  A month might be pushing it, in terms of getting a characteristic tone, but not impossible to get a good start if you practice every day and have good instruction.

Go for it!

Best Wishes,
Nathan  

Flute

Nathan Muehl