Flute/Auditions

Question
Hello again =)

I have played Spring from The Four Seasons, Canon in D, Minuet and Spirit Dance, and more classical pieces and also simple things like what bands play. I am a really quick learner and am willing to play anything.
Can ypu suggest two contrasting pieces that, when played together, are about 5-6 minutes? Or even excerps.

Answer
Hey Freddy,

I recommend taking a look at Larry Krantz's repertoire lists, which are organized in level of difficulty.  The Minuet & Dance of the Blessed Spirits is listed as level 4, so that should give you an idea of what you are looking for, difficulty-wise.  To get an idea of what each piece sounds like, type it into YouTube to see if it's there, or, if it isn't, try a preview sample on a site like Amazon or iTunes.  

It's hard for me to give you a specific recommendation since I don't know your strengths, weaknesses, and technical limits.  The person best suited to pick the best set of audition pieces is you. :) So I think your best bet is to review the Larry Krantz pages and listen to them online to get an idea of what they sound like.  Here's a few more suggestions, though (linked on YouTube so you can listen to them):

- JS Bach: Sonata in E flat major, 2nd movement (BWV 1031):  The other movements of the sonata are good, too.  You can't go wrong with any Bach sonata for flute & piano or the Partita for solo flute, so I'd recommend YouTubing other Bach sonatas & the partita to see if they suit you.  It just depends on whether the faster Bach movements are a good match for you in terms of technical difficulty.

- Claude Debussy: Syrinx:  A very pretty short piece for solo flute.  This is a great opportunity to showcase your musicality and interpretation, and is a fantastic contrast to any fast Baroque work like Bach or Handel. Rhythmically, it might be a bit challenging at first, and it calls for you to have good tone control across all registers of the flute.  

There's also a collection of flute & piano solos revised by Robert Cavally, called "24 Short Concert Pieces."  It contains the Minuet & Dance of the Blessed Spirits that you've done, and contains a variety of styles and tempos.  You can see the book and its contents here, so I recommend YouTubing/Googling the pieces it contains to see if you like any of them well enough to purchase.

Once you have a selection of pieces you like, pick two that are not only of contrasting styles but contrasting periods.  For example, if you play a slow movement by Bach, a fast movement by Handel isn't as big a contrast as it could be, because both composers were from the German Baroque period.  A second piece from a different time period than Bach better showcases you as a versatile player.

Finally, this page on my website deals with how to audition, so if you haven't seen it before, it may give you some tips for presentation and what the judges will be listening for.

I hope this helps!  Let me know if you have any more questions, and good luck on your audition!

~Holly~  

Flute

Holly