Flute/Broken F sharp

After not playing for about a week, I tried to play F sharp on my flute (Gemeinhart 50 Series), but a G came out instead. I checked my fingering and saw that it was correct, and I haven't been able to ask my band director about this yet. Is there any other way to play F sharp?

Hi, Mira.
Please get your flute repaired ASAP, sweetie.  It is not good to leave something broken, and try to work around it.  It may be something as simple as a loose or worn key pad, or a problem with a spring that has popped out of place.  When I say "spring," I am talking about those little wires behind the long rails that the keys are attached to.  The little wires rest in teeny little hooks on one end.  If they pop loose, you can sometimes pop them back into place yourself.  Check this first.  Then if it is not that, maybe it's best to take the flute to a repair shop.

Sorry for the delay in answering, Mira.  I had a bad internet connection for awhile, but we're ok here now.  I hope you are also up and running again soon!

Denise J. Sipe

These are the topics I CAN answer... How to play, from beginner to professional. Tips and tricks, breathing, auxilliary fingering techniques Tone Quality Listening--Developing your ears Technique --Bringing the notes up and off of the page, and making them "your own music". Playing solo, small groups, bands, orchestras Digitally reproduced, vs live accompaniment Accompanying vocalists, dancers, other instrumentals.

Soloist, small groups, large marching bands, symphony orchestras, stage bands and orchestras, theater, church music, jazz, classical, folk music

I'm independent. But professionals have often hired me to play in their groups. Giving back to the community where I played in the High School Band, I am a former member of Williamsport, MD Community Band, a current member of New Horizons Band in Hagerstown, MD, and Bass Flute Player for the TOOT UNCOMMON FLUTES flute choir of Williamsport, MD. I often perform solo as "Toot Uncommon" and had a web-based business where I sold flutes of all sizes, shapes, and colors. The show is uncommon. The locations are often uncommon. And the variety of musical instruments is definitely uncommon! I am a member of NFA, the National Flute Association.

I didn't write for any publications. I leave that up to the more elite musicians.

This should have been my career. I am an engineer,and a trained professional clown. But my music is my passion. Flute is my favorite, though I also play many woodwinds and some brass. I am currently playing percussion in a volunteer concert band, and have drum corps experience, where I often played marching bass drum. I am totally self-taught. But I have often played in groups made up mostly of professionals. All in all I am still the area's best-kept secret.

Biggest honor of my career was playing an emotional piece, and looking out over the audience. Two big, tough construction workers had tears rolling down their cheeks.

I've been teaching beginning and intermediate flute/piccolo students of all ages in MD and PA since the early 1970s.