Flute/Seating in an orchestra

Question
A new woodwind tutor has just joined in my county, who is an actual flute player. At the youth orchestra(where I currently play first flute)she was watching us to check we were playing correctly when she came over and told me to put my flute behind the 2nd flutes head, so he is sitting slightly in front of me. Last year, I had just been told to hold it out at 90, so there was a small gap between flutes. Should I position myself based on what I have originally been told, or what I have recently been told?

Answer
Wow, Jasmine.
I hope that you are comfortable playing your flute at either angle.  In a group situation, it's almost like politics, trying to figure out where to point that flute.  Since I cannot see what's going on there, I can't really give an adequate assessment.  I personally like the 90 degree angle, and so does my embouchure.  But depending on who is in charge of your youth orchestra, you have to go with the flow.  Try your best to cooperate with whomever is in charge.  If the whole section cooperates, all should go well.

This I know from experience.  If a trumpet player is in charge, pity the trumpet section.  If a drummer is in charge, pity the drum section.  In your case, if a flute person is in charge, the flute section will be under the most intense scrutiny of the entire group.  But they will end up being the most excellent flute section ever!

With this in mind, when you go to concerts and listen to various groups, you can almost always tell what instrument the director plays best.

I wish I could be more helpful.  The one thing for sure, however, is this.  Don't whack the next person in the head or arm when they are also trying to play!

Here's wishing you great success, Jasmine!  May you play beautifully, at every angle.

Flute

Denise J. Sipe