Flute/piccolo purchase

Question
Hi, my daughter plays the flute and has progressed to an intermediate level... thought she REALLY wants to play the piccolo. I have been looking at used student-level piccolos for one of her christmas presents, and am wondering about the Hopson brand. I have not heard of it, but have really only researched student instruments and am leaning toward an Armstrong if this is not better. Also, I have read that the silver (or metal) instruments are better for outdoor use and durability but that the resin and wood have a more pleasant tone. She has achieved a good range and tone with a silver armstrong flute. Is this more of an issue with piccolos?

Answer
Don't buy the Hopson.  It's an "unknown."  The problem is, student piccolos, even new, aren't that great.  I'd say get a Yamaha or Jupiter resin piccolo which you can return if it doesn't play properly.

Yes, the resin piccs have a more pleasant sound than the all silver plated ones.  Plus, you can use a resin picc outdoors so it's a good choice for a student

Nancy
www.flutestar.com

Flute

Nancy