Flute/What charity to donate two flutes to

Question
I have a Professional HAYNES with covered keys and C foot in excellent condition and a Professional POWELL with covered keys and C foot in excellent condition.  They are not being played and I would like to donate them to a reputable program for disadvantaged kids who want to learn to play.

Can you suggest any such programs?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Answer
Hello Claudia!

Your plan is extremely generous, and will probably make a huge difference in the lives of the students who benefit from your donation.  However, while your intentions are admirable, neither of these flutes is suitable for a beginner, especially one who likely comes from a low-income area where having an expensive instrument could expose the student to danger.  

You would be better off selling these flutes (they're both pretty desirable and should be easy to sell) and either purchasing several good-quality student flutes (Yamaha 221s, Gemeinhardt 2SPs, Jupiter 515s, etc.) or donating the proceeds of the sale to a worthy cause.  Check with the program you want to donate to to see what they'd prefer.  This will allow more students to be helped, and for the instruments they receive to be suited for their needs as musicians and the reality of their living situations.  

Just about any public school program to which you feel a connection would likely be extremely appreciative of such a donation, but you could also consider working with El Sistema USA or a similar program.

I hope this is helpful.  If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Herbert

Flute

Herbert Smith