Flute/head joints

Question
I have had trouble blowing into a flute.  Are there some head joints that make it easier to blow than others?  Currently, I use a special piece on my flute that makes blowing easier.  It blows like a recorder.  Are there head joints that affect how you blow into a flute? Thanks, Joel

Answer
Hello, Joel.
I do suppose there are gizmos and gadgets out there that make it easier to blow into a flute and get the desired notes.  But there is nothing in the universe that can replace a durable, adaptable, multi-functional, quite versatile human embouchure.

A shortcut may work for now.  But there is nothing so fine as developing YOUR unique embouchure.  It never comes immediately, or automatically, or dare I say, easily?  But it is more than worth the work it takes, AND THE PRACTICE TIME to train your own body to play a flute headjoint, no matter what the cut of the lip plate feels like.  

I have played a wide variety of brands of flute headjoints in the past 50+ years.  I can play them all with just a bit of personal adjustment.  I have a Guo Flute that is very surprising as far as the material from which it is made, and yet the ease of playing due to a uniquely formed headjoint.  Yet, most valuable, is my embouchre, with so many facial muscles, and therefore, many tiny variations in the way I can adjust and play just EVERYTHING!  

With a little practice, you will, too!  And maybe even better than I do!  So let me encourage you not to lean too heavily on a shortcut method.  But rather, invest your time in developing your skills the old fashioned way.  Practice and learn.

My best to you, Joel.  Play beautifully and enjoy.

Flute

Denise J. Sipe