Flute/breath control

Question
I am working on my embouchure and am able to make sound good, strong sounds.  As I play, my major challenge is breath control, or being able to sustain a breath well enough to play a passage. I am trying to "economize" my "air" so as not to have it escape, but to make it count.  Often, I take a big, deep breath, then it's gone (and I am huffing) after about two measures.  I have played clarinet and recorder for many years and am used to the mouthpiece/reed regulating the air flow.  Thanks, Joel

Answer
Hi, Joel!
It takes practice to make that big, deep breath last for an entire phrase, or at least until there is an appropriate place to grab that next breath.  When my students begin their first lessons, they usually breathe after every note.  Then it's 4 beats.  Then, it's 2 measures, then 3, then 4.  

There was an old, old method book that I still use with some students.  It is called "Breeze Easy Method."  Just the thought of that title will give you a hint of how to reach your goal.  It is easier to learn the lower, then middle octaves, on flute as a beginner.  Think "Breeze Easy," as you play.  With practice, you can make that breath last.  Then, even as you break into the upper octave(s)you will be able to work into enough breath for proper phrasing.

So, why all the fuss about how long one can hold their breath before it runs out?  Well, musical phrasing is like speaking, in a way.  If you run (huff) out of breath in the middle of the (inhale)......sentence.... well, you see what I mean.  To really get an understanding of proper phrasing, you might play a song with a simple melody.  Breathe where it makes sense with the words.  For example...

"Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb.(breathe)"
"Mary had a little lamb, its fleece was white as snow.  (breathe)"

DEFINITELY DO NOT BREATHE AFTER THE WORD "LITTLE" AT ANY TIME DURING THAT SONG!  It would not make sense.  And so it goes with any music.  Even if there are no words, you can learn to hear proper musical phrasing, the same way you know when to breathe when you are speaking.

In conclusion, my suggestion for you, is that you work on a one or two line exercise, with lower and middle range notes, and try to only breathe after 2 measures.  Then try to hold for 3.  Then for 4.  More if you can swing it.  Good luck, Joel, and I wish you better and better music.  Enjoy that flute, sir.

Flute

Denise J. Sipe