Flute/open the throat

Question
What does it mean in playing to "open the throat"? I've seen this in didgeridoo instruction (regarding circular breathing) and in flute books.  How do you "open your throat"? Isn't it already open?

Answer
Hello Joel!

The throat obviously is open enough naturally to allow air to pass into the lungs and such, but it can be consciously opened more.

Imagine yawning (or even better, just pay attention to the sensation the next time you do so).  Your tongue changes position, your chin likely rises (further aiding the easy passage of air), and your airways open.  Some of these same changes should occur when you're playing.  This is important in playing flute not because it allows more air to pass, but because the mouth, sinuses, and other cavities in your head and throat create a resonance chamber that greatly impacts the sound that you derive from the instrument.  It's not possible to play with a huge, rich sound (as one must to cut through an orchestra, for instance) if your throat is constricted.  Even tiny changes in the placement and arch of your tongue in your mouth have drastic impacts in air speed and direction, which directly impacts the tone you get from your flute.

Under the direction of a good flute teacher, you'll be able to develop an embouchure that facilitates a big, open sound without any unnecessary tension (which can be just as harmful to tone production as an "unopened" airway), so I do recommend that you find yourself someone to study with if you have not already pursued private lessons.  Under their guidance, and with the aid of a series of tone exercises that you'll play for the rest of your flute career, you'll be able to develop an embouchure that utilizes an "open throat".  This will allow you to create a beautiful, focused sound on the instrument.

I hope this clears up any confusion.  If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Herbert

Flute

Herbert Smith