Flute/Flute Key Plugs

Question
Hi Herbert,

I have recently made the leap from closed to open keys on a new flute and am looking for key plugs to make the transition a little less awkward. however the flute is a Mateki and I am struggling to find places that sell plugs to fit Mateki flutes. Being a similar style flute to Muramatsu and Powell would the plugs designed for them fit my Mateki or are there specific plugs that I am yet to find!?

Thanks

Imogen

Answer
Hello Imogen!

Congratulations on the new instrument!  Mateki makes some great (albeit lesser known flutes).

To your question, though, flute plugs are not brand specific, so you do not need to find Mateki plugs.  However, flutes generally use one of two different sizes of holes (either 7mm or 9mm), so plugs are not a one-size-fits-all proposition.

The best solution is to simply measure the holes in your keys and buy the appropriately sized plugs. If you or someone you know owns a set of calipers (cheap ones would be fine for a measurement like this), they would be the best tool for the job, though you could likely use a ruler if no calipers are handy.

Most music stores or flute dealers will have the appropriate plugs on hand once you know what size you need.  They can also be bought online.

Keep in mind, however, that on some flutes, plugs will noticeably affect intonation, so while they're fine to use during the transition to a French-keyed flute, they should be removed as soon as possible.

I hope this is helpful.  If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Herbert

Flute

Herbert Smith