Flute/bass flute

How difficult is breath control in a bass flute as compared to s C flute?

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the email.  I find bass flute can take some getting used to, but if you have a decent instrument, it is very attainable.  

In regards to amount of air you have to blow to make a sound, I don't feel it it much different.  To gain a good sustained sound it is helpful to have your lungs as full as possible for support all the time (which will likely benefit your C flute playing as well).   

Experimenting with air direction and the amount that your lips "grip" the airstream also makes quite a difference.

Good Luck!

Nathan Muehl

I feel very comfortable answering questions regarding classical music. This includes performance of music on woodwind instruments, theory, history, etc. I am happy to answer questions about careers in music and collegiate study. I am also able to answer simple questions in the field of Audio Engineering.

I have played the flute for 25 years. I am very active in professional music organizations, and I have had several students go on to successful careers.

I am currently a member of the Conductor's Guild, the National Flute Association, the American String Teachers Association, West Virginia Music Educators Association, and Ohio Music Educators Association.

I hold a bachelor of music education degree from The Ohio State University along with a business minor. I have a Master of Music degree from the same institution. I am currently a professor at a college in Florida.