Fly Fishing/Milward 8' 3 piece hexagon cane rod

I purchased this rod at a garage sale and it is in excellent condition. It is in the original cloth bag and the owner was 94 when he died in 1968. I purchased it about 10 years ago from an individual who said it was his grandfather's and gave me the above information of his age.
I am interested in the history of the rod regarding the manufacturer and approximate time frame the company or individual built these rods. I am not interested in selling it but am curious as to its age and whether this is a custom made rod or if it is one of several different models of which multiple numbers were made. I am aware it was made in the UK, but the only markings on the rod is the word Milward under an armored arm. I would appreciate a response even if you are unsure of its history!

Hello Robert - Your rod was built by a fairly large scale production company in Redditch, England. It most likely dates to the late 30's or early 40's (pre-WWII).  They are considered good rods but as they were mass produced by an English maker they are not extremely collectible but are eminently fishable.  I don't know hom many of those 8' 3 piece rods were made, but it was quite a few.  They had anumber of different fly, bait, pike, and boat rods.  They were in production following WWII as well but most of those fly rods were of 2 piece construction.  I hope that helps,

Fly Fishing

Rich Morrison

I can answer questions about all types of Powell fly rods. I know more than just about anyone when it comes to info on vintage Powell rods. You can email me at and include questions, photos, and descriptions of any Powell rods you want info on. Thanks!!

I've been collecting/buying/selling and researching Powell rods for almost 10 years. I grew up in Chico and I own an extensive set of Powell documentation going back years. Please feel free to visit my website at

BA in biology - but that does not really metter here.