Fly Fishing/fly rod by foster bros

hi have a 3 piece fly rod split cane i think Bakelite eyes stoppers in ends and a number on butt which is 67427 or 87427 made by foster bros ashbourn approx 12 feet.Can you shed any light on it for me as i know nothing other than its a lovely rod.thanks john n.ireland

Hi John - Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.  I do know Foster's of Ashbourne (aka Foster Bros) was in business from about 1900 to 2000.  The were mainly reel maker originally.  Your rod is a most likely a Salmon rod and dates to the 1930s or 40s given that Bakelite is used on it.  It's probably worth somewhere around 200 pounds to right buyer and in perfect condition.  It's also a nice historic fishing rod that you would enjoy using I'm sure.  I hope that helps.

Fly Fishing

Rich Morrison

I can answer questions about all types of Powell fly rods. I know more than just about anyone when it comes to info on vintage Powell rods. You can email me at and include questions, photos, and descriptions of any Powell rods you want info on. Thanks!!

I've been collecting/buying/selling and researching Powell rods for almost 10 years. I grew up in Chico and I own an extensive set of Powell documentation going back years. Please feel free to visit my website at

BA in biology - but that does not really metter here.