You are here:

Fly Fishing/SouthBend no359 8 1/2 3piece


Hello, I'm wanting to use this rod but don't know what line to use. On the handle it has HDH or E Can you help me?? Also price value on the rod. Is this a dry or wet fly rod?? Thank you very for your time!!! Gary

Hello Gary - Nice classic rod you have there.  The HDH designation is the equivalent of a modern DT6 line.  The E is equivalent to a level line 5wt.  Level lines are no longer made really.  If you would like to classify it I would call it a wet fly rod.  However, I'd fish it with dry flies as well with probably a WF 5 or 6wt line.  I'll bet it will cast quite nicely with those lines as well. Enjoy the rod.  

Fly Fishing

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Rich Morrison


I can answer questions about all types of Powell fly rods. I know more than just about anyone when it comes to info on vintage Powell rods. You can email me at and include questions, photos, and descriptions of any Powell rods you want info on. Thanks!!


I've been collecting/buying/selling and researching Powell rods for almost 10 years. I grew up in Chico and I own an extensive set of Powell documentation going back years. Please feel free to visit my website at

BA in biology - but that does not really metter here.

©2017 All rights reserved.