Fly Fishing/fly rod

montague rapidan fly rod, I know it is vintage, I would like to know how to tell how old it is & it's value?

Hi Ray - Sorry for the delay in getting to your question.  Those rods were introduced in 1927 and built into the early 40's - the heart of production being in the early 30's.  Value depends greatly on condition.  Those are considered blue collar production rods and can be worth anywhere from absolutely nothing to a max of about $200 in mint condition.  I hope that helps,

Fly Fishing

Rich Morrison

I can answer questions about all types of Powell fly rods. I know more than just about anyone when it comes to info on vintage Powell rods. You can email me at and include questions, photos, and descriptions of any Powell rods you want info on. Thanks!!

I've been collecting/buying/selling and researching Powell rods for almost 10 years. I grew up in Chico and I own an extensive set of Powell documentation going back years. Please feel free to visit my website at

BA in biology - but that does not really metter here.