Hi Rich,
I am new to fly fishing and have just been given an old fly rod that I would like to identify the maker, age and if it is any good.

The rod consists of 1 reel section, 1 centre section, 3 tips plus an extra tip that fits in the butt section to reduce the size of the rod.

On the butt it has a logo with a blue picture of a mountain and the words NUMBER ONE SPECIAL ROD. I don't know if it is cain or bamboo but it is in very good condition.

I googled 'old fly rod logos' and in section 2 was a picture of the mountain logo, if this helps. Otherwise I can't find anything about this rod on the net.

Hope you can help.

Best regards

Tom Woods

Tom - I am not familiar with the rod you describe.  I need more info.  Some photos would be quite helpful.  It sounds as though it may be a fly/spin combo rod with the way it is configured.  I looked on google and do not see any blue mountain picture.  

Fly Fishing

Rich Morrison

I can answer questions about all types of Powell fly rods. I know more than just about anyone when it comes to info on vintage Powell rods. You can email me at and include questions, photos, and descriptions of any Powell rods you want info on. Thanks!!

I've been collecting/buying/selling and researching Powell rods for almost 10 years. I grew up in Chico and I own an extensive set of Powell documentation going back years. Please feel free to visit my website at

BA in biology - but that does not really metter here.