Fly Fishing/Horrocks ibbotson flash

reel seat
reel seat  

I recently purchased a horrocks ibbotson flash rod at a flea market here, It is a 12' 3 piece rod. I cannot find any information on it. I have attached a few pictures of the rod, Is it a fly rod because the eyes seem small. Is it fishable? Any info you can give me on it would be great. thank you for your time.

Hi Joe - It is not a fly rod.  The reel seat is above the cork is a casting rod of some sort.  It looks to be in ok shape.  Based on what I can see in the photos (which is limited) it is fishable.  THe ferrules should not be loose.  Look the cane over for obvious cracks as well.  I hope that helps.

Fly Fishing

Rich Morrison

I can answer questions about all types of Powell fly rods. I know more than just about anyone when it comes to info on vintage Powell rods. You can email me at and include questions, photos, and descriptions of any Powell rods you want info on. Thanks!!

I've been collecting/buying/selling and researching Powell rods for almost 10 years. I grew up in Chico and I own an extensive set of Powell documentation going back years. Please feel free to visit my website at

BA in biology - but that does not really metter here.