Fly Fishing/montague fly rod

QUESTION: I have a Montague fly rod model SF 49  I am looking for a value. I can't seem to find any information on this model. Thank you very much for your time.

ANSWER: Hi Marv, I'm not familiar with that model of Montague.  However, most Montague fly rods, depending on condition, are worth between $25 and $200.  They are fairly common rods.  The shorter (7'6" and less) are the most popular.  I hope that helps.  

QUESTION: Any idea where I can look? I have spent hours on the computer here and there with no luck. I took it to a outdoor expo 11 or 12 years ago and was offered $250 then, maybe I should have taken it. It is a nine foot in excellent condition. Anyway if you could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks again,

Marv - You bet.  Please go to Clarks Classic Fly Rod Forum.  Create an account and go to the appraisals and ID thread.  You will need to post photos of the rod.  Photobucket is the easiet way to do that.  There is a tutorial on the site of you need help.  You can always contact me on that site if you need to.  I am RMorrison there.  There are plenty of folks smarter than I am on Monty rods there.  I am really a Powell expert.  Cheers,

Fly Fishing

Rich Morrison

I can answer questions about all types of Powell fly rods. I know more than just about anyone when it comes to info on vintage Powell rods. You can email me at and include questions, photos, and descriptions of any Powell rods you want info on. Thanks!!

I've been collecting/buying/selling and researching Powell rods for almost 10 years. I grew up in Chico and I own an extensive set of Powell documentation going back years. Please feel free to visit my website at

BA in biology - but that does not really metter here.