Fly Fishing/Horrocks-Ibbotson Co rod & reel

My son found this old fly fising rod in a vacate garage in Sheboygan, WI   53081 last year.  The propetry is going to be raised.  The reel says HICo-MATIC, with a H-I in a triangle in a square.  Its red, also says UTICA, N.Y.  MADI IN USA.  Its also has a three piece rod with a tattered carring case.  How much is this worth?  Thank you.

Automatic reels are not worth much these days.  Maybe $10.  The rod's value depends greatly on it's condition as well as length and line wt.  However, HI rods were mass market trade rods and are not particularly valuable.  depending on the factors I mentioned it's worth between nothing and maybe $150.
I hope that helps,

Fly Fishing

Rich Morrison

I can answer questions about all types of Powell fly rods. I know more than just about anyone when it comes to info on vintage Powell rods. You can email me at and include questions, photos, and descriptions of any Powell rods you want info on. Thanks!!

I've been collecting/buying/selling and researching Powell rods for almost 10 years. I grew up in Chico and I own an extensive set of Powell documentation going back years. Please feel free to visit my website at

BA in biology - but that does not really metter here.